Thursday, February 15, 2007

Mzansi's Artists!

Poetry - beautiful, inspiring and touching!!!

In the last 5 years we've seen much needed change in the poetry and hip-hop scene right here e-Mzansi and really some have done quite well and some, eish...

But here's what I trying to say, and this has been a topic eshisayo between Splacka, Blaque, AfroSLiQ Diva and Kwaki:
In the past many poets did the whole "I am African", "I am woman", "Jozi streets by night", "Poverty", "The Apartheid...." and nje I could go on and on but for how long must certain poets be on that tip? Aren't there other things people can write about? Unless they are planning on keeping it to themselves, I'm cool with it but if they wanna share it with people who are willing to listen to you than they must try other topics.

And then there is hip-hop and the battle yakhona with the underground catz "beefing" with mainstream catz....

Q. How long are they going to be underground if they want to do it professionally and want to be heard, not only by the underground movement but by the masses as well? I mean underground - you can't even make enough to buy a skateboard! (Not a fact, just my thoughts)

And what is it with the attitude from underground hip-hop artists?

"All women are b*tches", "mainstream hip-hop artists are sell-outs and can't freestyle" - I swear the most that I've met are like that, almost like they are living in another planet nje.... all I'm saying is: they can record as many albums as they want and be in the "studio" 24/7/36 x 4 all they want but the music industry is like a game of chess so shem bom'rapper abahle, just deal with it if you want to ever get any airplay. Not forgetting how difficult it is sometimes to understand some of their lyrics 'coz of all the metaphors and shit, I know ya'll are all for being "deep" mara haai - sometimes it sounds like a bunch of words collected from the incyclopedia version dictionary and some of us are so slow that we have to listen to the same track 8 times before we actually get what ya'll are sayin.

A lot of us if not all of us can speak the queen's language but damn ya'll are just on some other level - 4sho!

Ya'll are talented 4sho but don't hide it from the world, ne!!! and haai kabi ne, but some of ya'll need to shower more often - I got mad love for hip-hop artists but I'm just sayin'.

Truth is African poets and musicians a damn talented, yet some of that talent is not being recognised and natured the way it deserves to be and many a times we're made to believe that the only people that have talent are the ones we see on TV and personally I beg to differ.

And finally I agree with KasieKulture - just because some scwelebritiz like poetry, that doesn't make them poets and in fact, some are just far from it. I'm still to hear an all round celebrity do an original piece but 'til then I don't really believe anything I hear from South African Scwelebz!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ma sistren ndiyayiva le uyitshoyo and iloluhlobo uyitsho ngayo, kodwa ke njengomntu oyinxalenye yezingqondi zomculo buciko ndiyaphikisana nezinye zezinto ozichzphazelayo.

mo faya