Tuesday, April 1, 2008

On a Poetic Tip!!!

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.

I say, It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman, That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.

I say, It's the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman, That's me.

PS: No worries, I stole this poem & I aint ashamed to even say it........ But it sure is a nice one!!!

Nice enough to make make the "exotic lookinglike- women" feel good about themselves! (I do mean that in the most nicest way as I sometimes fall under the same category - ya right!)

Go Maya.....

3 comments:

Sweets said...

'snice hey ;)

KASIEKULTURE! said...

Nice one there Mami, I've got a poem I want to swear that I wrote for your type of phenomenal women. It goes like;

dark child
(for my chocolate sistas)

they say them light skin chick's kinda good looking/
bury in rubble of self-hate biko's point of viewing/
dark-child born black blessed with diamond eyes/
coffee coloured ghetto angel stays elusive like evil/
through the eyes of the beholder i tend to see what i want/
in the dark i feel cleavage smell the scent of a woman/

"they say 'the blacker the berry/ the sweeter the juice'"/
he says "the darker the skin means the deeper the wound"/
cynicism to chrome caramel never seen it lacerated/
love everything unspoiled so i do an espresso/
convince myself i'm biting choc when i sink my tongue/
said i adore dark spots often mirror my demeanor/

dark-child in a catalogue world of mtv base/
where silicone politics of tone determine the taste/
never your rap video type or your pull-out poster/
your brown sugar never fails product of a honeycomb/
dark-child in a world unkind to virgin syrup/
where barbie doll sees her death cuz she affirms your depth/

they say beauty lies in the eyes of beholder/
he says "beholder's perception of beauty is tainted"/
since oluchi & alek wek are tokens of afro-optimism/
when the lights are dim that's when the truth surfaces/
if i cut you with a razor will we bleed the same?/
if they made me cry now will i see your tears too?/

in loving memory of all my soldieresses/
dark sistas who never made it + those still living/
in a world full of judgment & concealed attitudes/
might call you candy, chocolate skin, brown sugar like nefertifi/
maybe wake up one morning adore like vanilla ice cream/
or i can chill in the dark & simply call you by your name/
in the beginning he created - & she looked like you

Patchwork said...

Maya is a lovely writer. I just wish I could like her radicalism.